Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Be a man, be a father

For fathers; we have been given a tremendous responsibility. Our Lord breathed life into the womb and handed us a life, one of His children to be responsible for. I remember when my first child was born, I was young, scared, and I did not fully understand the measure of the gift I was given. I have come to understand through my Faith and continued prayer what it means to be a man as a father.

Once we come to know that our children are gifts from God that we must grow in His glory we realize through His wisdom how to be a father to them. Conventional wisdom says that fathers must be hard hearted, quick to the "staff", diciplinarians (in a physical sense), responsible for one thing, working to provide for his family finacnially. Yes, some of the above we must do, but to be a father in the faith we must also be a loving, teacher.

Yes brothers, be a loving teacher; doing this is not an easy task. It is easy to just engage with children when they need to be "yelled" at or dicilined. Many of us knew our fathers in this way. Or fathers knew us when we needed discipline, while that is very important that cannot be the only time we engage as fathers. We must teach our children what it means to be a Christian. How to pray, how to forgive, how to love, how to be obedient, how to trust, how to share love. Jesus Christ always built people up, made them feel important. We must do the same for our children.

I always say our children are reflections of us, if we want to know why our children do or say certain things, we must look at ourselves in the mirror and in our hearts. Give the gifts that the Lord has given you the type of love care, mercy and forgiveness that He has given you, it is our resonsiblity to do so.

I will post some practical ideas that I have used, ideas I developed and ideas I have learned from others. What are some things you have done, lessons you have taught your children? Let's share, let's learn.

God bless you as a father.

No comments:

Post a Comment